What is Managed Print Services (MPS)?
Canon is an MPS market leader. Optimize you print strategy across offices to cut costs and create new efficiencies.Get an MPS Quote
What is Managed Print Services (MPS)?
Managed Print Services (MPS) is a strategic approach to streamlining and optimizing an organization's printing infrastructure and document-related processes. It extends beyond traditional printing by offering a holistic solution for efficient print management. MPS providers assess a company's printing needs, hardware, and workflows, aiming to reduce costs, drive digital transformation, improve productivity, and enhance sustainability. MPS is a valuable asset for modern businesses seeking greater efficiency and agility in their document-related processes.
One key aspect of MPS is its integration of technology, which leverages advanced software and hardware solutions to monitor, manage, and maintain printers and multifunction devices. This includes automated supply replenishment, remote troubleshooting, and proactive maintenance, ensuring uninterrupted operations.
Furthermore, MPS is a catalyst for digital transformation. By seamlessly connecting printers and multifunction devices to the cloud and various management software, MPS enables organizations to digitize their document workflows. This facilitates secure, convenient access to documents from anywhere, enhances collaboration, and reduces reliance on physical paperwork.
What is Managed Print Services Scope of Work?
Managed Print Services is a tailored agreement between a service provider and a business seeking to optimize their print environment. It typically includes:
- Needs Assessment: The provider assesses the current print infrastructure, document workflows, and costs to identify areas for improvement.
- Hardware and Software Management: MPS covers the selection, installation, and maintenance of printers and multifunction devices. It also involves implementing software solutions for print monitoring and management.
- Supply Management: The provider manages print supplies like toner and paper, ensuring they are consistently available without overstocking or in need of restocking.
- Maintenance and Support: MPS offers proactive maintenance, repairs, and technical support to minimize downtime.
- Cost Management: The agreement outlines cost structures, helping businesses understand and manage their print-related expenses.
- Security: MPS includes security measures to protect sensitive data during printing and scanning.
- Environmental Sustainability: Many MPS providers focus on reducing waste and promoting eco-friendly practices.
- Continuous Improvement: Regular reviews and adjustments ensure the print environment remains optimized.
The scope of work in an agreement that is highly customizable, tailored to the specific needs and goals of the business.
Why is MPS Essential for Workplace Efficiency?
Managed Print Services are essential for workplace efficiency due to their multifaceted impact on productivity and the overall operational ecosystem.
MPS optimizes every printer and copier in an organization's fleet. By strategically selecting and maintaining devices, businesses reduce downtime and ensure consistent, high-quality output. This optimization minimizes frustration and wasted time that often arise from malfunctioning or inefficient devices.
MPS streamlines workflows and automates processes. Through print management software, tasks like print job routing and supply replenishment become seamless. This not only saves time but also reduces the burden on IT personnel, allowing them to focus on more strategic tasks.
Managed Print Services also empowers remote workers. With cloud integration and mobile printing capabilities, employees can access and print documents from anywhere, enhancing flexibility and responsiveness.
Lastly, MPS contributes to a productive ecosystem by promoting sustainability. It encourages responsible printing practices, reducing paper and energy consumption. This not only aligns with environmental goals but also lowers operational costs.
How Does MPS Management Improve Document Management?
Managed Print Services significantly enhances document management by facilitating digitization and ensuring secure handling.
The solution plays a pivotal role in digitizing document workflows, enabling organizations to seamlessly transition from paper to digital documents, reducing physical storage needs and simplifying retrieval. This digitization streamlines document access, making it quicker and more efficient, while also reducing the risk of document misplacement.
MPS enhances security in document management through various mechanisms. It employs secure print release, requiring user authentication to release print jobs, reducing the risk of sensitive documents falling into the wrong hands. Additionally, it provides encryption and secure protocols for scanning and transmission, safeguarding confidential data during the scanning process.
Efficiency is also a core benefit of MPS in document management. It optimizes scanning and copying tasks through centralized management. Users can access a network of multifunction devices, ensuring that tasks are distributed evenly, reducing wait times, and increasing overall productivity. This centralized approach also enables proactive maintenance, minimizing device downtime.
Can MPS Solutions Integrate with Hybrid Environments?
Managed Print Services solutions can seamlessly integrate with hybrid environments, making them highly adaptable to the modern workplace.
MPS excels in hybrid environments by providing flexibility and connectivity by allowing departments to effortlessly connect both physical and remote workplaces. With cloud-based solutions, employees can access print resources from anywhere, ensuring that remote workers have the same level of access as those in the office. IT administrators can remotely monitor and manage printer fleets, ensuring smooth operation for both in-office and remote workers. This not only minimizes disruptions but also enhances efficiency by addressing issues proactively.
Moreover, MPS solutions facilitate secure printing from remote locations. Users can securely send print jobs to the office printer, ensuring data confidentiality and compliance with security protocols.
How to Conduct an Effective MPS Assessment
An effective MPS assessment can help organizations uncover their printing needs, detect overlooked vulnerabilities, and tailor solutions to their specific objectives.
- Define Objectives: Clearly outline your goals for the assessment. Whether it's cost reduction, improved productivity, or enhanced security, having specific objectives will guide the process.
- Inventory Assessment: Identify all existing printing devices and document workflows within your organization. This step helps you uncover hidden costs and vulnerabilities.
- Usage Analytics: Utilize analytics tools to gain insights into your current print usage patterns. Analyzing data such as print volumes, job types, and peak usage times can reveal areas for optimization.
- User Interviews: Engage with employees to understand their printing needs and pain points. This qualitative feedback can provide valuable insights into workflow bottlenecks.
- Security Assessment: Evaluate the security of your print infrastructure, identifying potential vulnerabilities and areas for improvement in data protection.
- Environmental Impact: Assess the environmental impact of your printing practices to explore sustainability opportunities.
- Cost Analysis: Calculate the total cost of ownership (TCO) for your print fleet, including supplies, maintenance, and energy consumption.
- Recommendations: Based on the assessment findings, work with an MPS provider to develop tailored solutions that align with your objectives, such as device consolidation, security enhancements, and workflow optimizations.
- Continuous Monitoring: Implement ongoing monitoring and reporting to track progress and make adjustments as needed.
How Can MPS Optimize Printer Fleet Management?
- Device Optimization: MPS assesses the printer fleet, identifying redundant or underutilized devices. It recommends device consolidation, ensuring that the right printers are in the right locations, minimizing hardware costs, and reducing energy consumption.
- Usage Analytics: Advanced analytics tools are used to monitor and analyze print behavior. This data-driven approach uncovers usage patterns, allowing for informed decisions on print policies and device deployment.
- Fleet Management Software: Fleet management software enables centralized control and monitoring of the entire print fleet. This software automates tasks like supply replenishment and proactive maintenance, reducing administrative overhead.
- Minimizing Downtime: MPS offers proactive maintenance, regularly servicing and updating devices to prevent breakdowns. This reduces costly printer downtimes, ensuring that devices are always running smoothly.
- Firmware Updates: Firmware plays a critical role in device performance and security. Managed Print Services ensures that all printers receive timely firmware updates, mitigating security risks and optimizing functionality.
What are the Cost Savings and Efficiency Gains of MPS?
- Reduced Printing Costs: Unnecessary printing expenses are identified and eliminated. MPS optimizes device placement, encourages duplex printing, and manages supplies efficiently, resulting in significant cost reductions.
- Cost Allocation: Print management software allows you to allocate printing costs to specific departments or users. This facilitates accurate chargebacks, ensuring that each department is billed for their respective printing expenses.
- Print Quotas: By setting print quotas or limits for individual users or departments, MPS can control excessive printing, preventing unexpected overages and keeping costs in check.
- Predictable Budgeting: Predictable cost structures are provided, simplifying budgeting by eliminating unpredictable, ad-hoc printing costs.
- Supply Management: Supply replenishment is automated based on actual usage, reducing overstocking and wastage, saving on supplies expenses.
- Energy Efficiency: MPS optimizes device usage and upgrades to energy-efficient models, reducing energy consumption, and lowering utility bills.
- Streamlined Workflows: MPS digitizes processes, improving document accessibility and reducing time spent on manual document management tasks.
- Centralized Management: Fleet management software simplifies administration, reducing IT workload and improving device control.
- Enhanced Productivity: Reduced downtime and faster printing enhance employee productivity and operational efficiency.
- Environmental Impact: Responsible printing practices are encouraged, reducing paper waste, and aligning with sustainability goals and corporate responsibility initiatives.
How Does MPS Promote Sustainability and Eco-Friendliness?
- Reducing Paper Waste: Responsible printing practices are encouraged, such as double-sided (duplex) printing and electronic document sharing, which significantly reduce paper consumption. MPS also offers print job tracking, helping organizations identify unnecessary print jobs and cut down on paper waste.
- Supply Optimization: Data-driven insights are used to manage supplies efficiently. This prevents overstocking and ensures that consumables like paper and toner are used optimally, reducing unnecessary waste.
- Energy Efficiency: MPS often includes an assessment of the energy efficiency of your printing devices. It may recommend upgrading to more energy-efficient models, thus reducing the carbon footprint associated with printing.
- Device Consolidation: Managed Print Services assesses the need for multiple printers and consolidates them into fewer, more efficient devices. This reduces energy consumption, maintenance requirements, and e-waste generation.
- Cloud Integration: This allows remote access to documents, reducing the need for physical printing. Cloud integration promotes a paperless, eco-friendly workflow.
- Technology Sustainability: MPS encourages the responsible use and maintenance of devices, extending their lifespan. Additionally, it often integrates with third-party solutions such as enterprise resource planning (ERP) solutions, document management systems and workflow automation systems, promoting resource maximization.
Navigating MPS Procurement: What to Look For? How do I choose an MPS provider?
Choosing the right Managed Print Services provider is a critical decision that can significantly impact your organization's efficiency and cost savings. Here's a guide on how to select an MPS provider:
- Identify Your Objectives: Start by defining your organization's goals. Is cost reduction the primary objective, or are you aiming to improve document security, streamline workflows, or enhance sustainability? Understanding your specific needs will guide your selection process.
- Provider Reputation: Research potential providers thoroughly. Look for providers with a solid track record, positive client testimonials, and a reputation for excellent service. Industry awards and certifications can also be indicators of provider quality.
- Service Offerings: Assess the range of services offered by each provider. Ensure they can meet your specific needs, from device management and supply replenishment to security and workflow optimization. Choose a provider that offers a comprehensive suite of solutions aligned with your objectives.
- Compatibility: Ensure that the MPS provider's solutions are compatible with your existing IT ecosystem, including network infrastructure, software systems, and any third-party integrations you use. Compatibility is essential for a seamless implementation process.
- Scalability: Consider your organization's growth trajectory. Choose a provider capable of scaling their services to accommodate your evolving needs, whether you're expanding, downsizing, or adopting new technologies.
- Cost Transparency: Seek providers who offer transparent pricing structures with no hidden fees. Understand how they bill for services and ensure it aligns with your budget and cost control objectives.
- Technology and Innovation: Look for providers who stay current with industry trends and embrace emerging technologies. Their ability to adapt and innovate will ensure your organization can leverage the latest tools for efficiency and productivity gains.
- Service Level Agreements (SLAs): Review the SLAs provided by the MPS provider. Ensure they meet your expectations regarding response times, issue resolution, and uptime guarantees.
- References and Case Studies: Ask for references and case studies from the provider to gauge their past performance and the results they've achieved for similar organizations.
- Alignment with Organizational Goals: Finally, align your choice of provider with your organizational goals. Choose a provider that not only meets your immediate needs but also has the capabilities to unlock the full suite of MPS benefits over the long term.
By carefully considering these factors and aligning your choice with your organization's objectives, you can select an MPS provider that maximizes the value of your investment and contributes to your overall success.
Who are the best Managed Print Services providers?
Some of the most popular and highly rated MPS providers include:
- Konica Minolta
Canon is an industry leader in managed print services. Canon provides a comprehensive approach to optimizing your printer fleets and has a deep history of success in printer technology, equipment and document management.
What is the Future of MPS?
Several key trends and developments are shaping the future of MPS:
- Digital Transformation: MPS is no longer just about managing physical printers. It's becoming a central component of broader digital transformation efforts. MPS providers will increasingly focus on digitizing document workflows, offering cloud-based solutions, and enabling remote access to documents for a more agile and paperless workplace.
- IoT Integration: As the Internet of Things (IoT) grows, providers will leverage IoT-enabled devices for predictive maintenance and enhanced print fleet management. Sensors and data analytics will enable proactive servicing and reduced downtime.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Automation: AI will play a significant role, automating routine tasks, optimizing print jobs, and improving security. AI-driven analytics will provide insights for further cost reductions and efficiency gains.
- Enhanced Security: With data breaches on the rise, MPS will place greater emphasis on document and device security. Advanced encryption, secure print release, and compliance with data protection regulations will be critical.
- Sustainability: MPS will continue to promote sustainability by reducing paper waste, optimizing energy usage, and facilitating responsible printing practices, aligning with the growing focus on environmental responsibility.
- Personalization: MPS will become more personalized, tailoring solutions to specific industry needs and individual organizational objectives.
- Predictive Analytics: Predictive analytics will enable providers to anticipate and address issues before they impact operations, enhancing overall reliability and user satisfaction.
In the future, MPS will be more than just print management; it will be a strategic partner in an organization's digital transformation journey. As technology advances, organizations that adapt and leverage MPS for ongoing benefits will stay ahead in terms of efficiency, security, sustainability, and overall competitiveness.